Saturday, September 26, 2009

Algebra and Sociology....Reminds me of Lions, Tigers, and Bears

I guess I can understand where people need to know basic math for reality in the real world, but why Algebra? I just don't get it.
Talking with a friend last night, I realized how far I've come in the last few months. She came to me with a real problem and I feel like I was actually helpful. I didn't just type what my mind was racing through, which is what I used to do, but instead I thought out all the different avenues that my mind spit out and then asked myself which I thought would be the most useful.
I've come so far. I'm so proud of myself and know that I'm going to have to get used to the constant extra steps it's going to take to have normal relationships, but I'm learning to truly think about what I say before I say it. It's become invaluable in conversations with Geoff. I've learned that he won't think of things the way I do and that I have to explain things to him in ways he will understand. When we have a disagreement, no longer is it a power struggle to figure out who is right, we are learning to listen to each other and when we don't understand what the other is saying (even if it's obvious to them), we state it in a different way.
I'm psyched because my mom is coming down next month. She's going to spend two nights at my house while she's in town. Her friends from high school live down here so she gets a lot of visiting done. I've taken a day off work and we're going to have a girls' day. I can't wait.
Then, later in the month, a friend is going to be in town for a convention. I'm stoked. I have so much to look forward to but at the same time, I feel swammped. I know there's so much schoolwork and studying to be done between now and then.
I can do this. I've got this. I keep telling myself that and somehow it makes it easier. I don't want to quit relaxing and go do my work, but it's got to be done. I'm so proud of us. We've come so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment